Monday, February 14, 2011

Grace and the Nocturnals… Will you all be my Valentines?

As you all may know, last night was the Grammy awards. I’m sure you all have heard by now about my dear GaGa’s egg arrival. Don’t worry about it if you don’t get it. She was Born This Way and last night was her rebirth. Plus… it got all of you talking about it, so if you don’t like it, just keep to yourself. You are only adding to her publicity.

I mention this because I’m willing to bet you are all wondering my thoughts on the performance, the art I call clothes, and her wins/lack of wins. But the truth is I did not watch the Grammy’s last night. I recorded the red carpet, the 60 minutes interview of GaGa with Anderson Cooper and the show itself but instead of watching the Grammy’s, I went to the Grace Potter and the Nocturnal’s concert in Oklahoma City.

I have been listening to GP and the Noc’s religiously for about the last 4 months. When I say religiously, I mean I put their shit on REPEAT. Their album “Live at the Filmore” is probably the #1 listened to album on my iTunes… which is saying a lot. (Especially since I listened to The Fame Monster and the Fame Monster only for almost an entire year straight.)

Every song on Live at the Filmore has been listened to over 100 times… seeing as there are about 14 songs on the album, that is a hell of a lot of times to listen to one band. (At least 1600 times.)

The first time I heard of Grace Potter was from Grey’s Anatomy. Their song “Apologies” was featured on the show about 2 years ago. “Apologies” quickly became a favorite of mine. The top song on my iTunes has been played 278 times… Apologies has been played 189, easily making it Top 25 most played…. I believe it is around #14. (If you included the live version of apologies.. it'd be #1).

When I was at Austin City Limits in October, I saw that Grace was playing. I insisted we hit it up. I was immediately blown away. I tweeted the shit out of that concert that day. I also went home and bought EVERY album of theirs that was offered on iTunes. Their live recordings quickly became my favorite.

GP and the Noc’s have been compared to Tina Turner and the Rolling Stones. Their music isn’t necessarily similar, but their performance style is. Grace dances, jumps, runs, sits, and screams during the entire performance… not to mention the fact she plays the organ, guitar and tamborine. Most impressive is her voice… it packs a powerful punch that can knock anyone onto the floor. And when I say powerful, I mean she could easily out-sing all of the people nominated for a Grammy last night.

I’ve been to a lot of concerts…. A lot. I’ve been to a lot of music festivals. It is not a secret that I love live music. After seeing Grace Potter for the second time in concert, I would like every one to know how I feel about the matter…..
GRACE POTTER AND THE NOCTURNALS ARE BY FAR THE BEST LIVE BAND I’VE EVER SEEN.

There are still a lot of bands I’d love to see live… and they could possibly alter the above statement. But right now this is how I feel.

I’m still on a live music high. In a few short hours, I will begin coming down from my high and go into Grace Potter withdrawals. It will not be pretty. It will most likely consist of me looking up every possible concert date I could attend later in the year…. And I’ll MAKE IT HAPPEN. If I wasn’t in class right now, I’d probably go to the city to see if they’ve left for their next show in Memphis on Wednesday yet.

I can honestly say Grace Potter may top Lady GaGa in my eyes... Which is unspeakable to those of you who know me. Yes, they are completely unique in their own ways, but when it comes to music I prefer live instruments over electronic instruments. While GaGa is one hell of an artist and performer, GP and the Noc’s are raw and real and I love it.

Please dear readers, check out the Nocturnal’s and their singer Grace Potter. I promise you that you won’t regret it.
I hope this time next year, instead of coming off a GPATN high and sinking into a slight depression due to withdrawals, I’ll be celebrating Grace Potter and the Nocturnal’s first Grammy win! They more than deserve it! (Who knows… I may have to add to my body art portfolio by getting a Grace tattoo to counter my GaGa tattoo…. Just kidding, Mom.)

P.S. Dear Grace and the rest of the Nocturnals…. Will you all be my valentines?

P.S.S. Dear Mr. Yurco, I’m single.

No comments:

Post a Comment