Tuesday, February 1, 2011

TEN PERCENT

I love OSU. I grew up going to every OSU game. I had an OSU hat signed by the entire OSU basketball team.

In fact, one time I was in Chris’s University Spirit and a college student noticed my hat. She asked me if it was signed by the football team, to which I responded very quickly, “No, it’s signed by the basketball team.” In an effort to be nice to this enthusiast, young cowboy fan, she followed up and asked who my favorite player was. Before I got the chance to answer, my cousin Matt took the liberty of answering for me. “DOUG GOTTLIEB! She wants to marry him.” Cue the blood rushing to my face. And then she said it… “Oh, that’s my boyfriend.” Long story short, she got my address and mailed a picture of Doug on the couch with his dog a few weeks later. It’s stories like this that only fuel my love for OSU. We have amazing fans, tailgates, and orange is the greatest school color ever. But oh the tailgates.

As much as I love OSU, about 10% of the time, I like OU better. Allow me to explain.

On January 27, 2011, OU had a snow day. By 9:00am that day the streets were completely clear and there was absolutely NO ice or snow on the streets. I didn’t mind. I got to sleep in. They were worried about the ice so they cancelled class. That same day, OSU did not cancel… and yet from what I’ve heard they needed to a hell of a lot more than OU did. We are talking students falling down.

I can remember when I was in school, there was a day class was not cancelled… and it needed to be. Every time I happened to be outside, I would see student, after student, after professor of people slipping and falling and busting ass.
I saw people walking across the street and falling in the street. And yet, despite this continuing throughout the day, OSU administration failed to cancel class.

I am currently in class and approximately 30 minutes ago I received a text from the University of Oklahoma telling me school is officially cancelled tomorrow. As of 50 minutes ago, there was no snow on the ground and no freezing rain. According to my phone, it has not started raining yet.

Thank you OU. I don’t have to set an alarm tomorrow. I don’t know if you care about your students…. Or if you just like your sleep as much as we do. And frankly, I don’t give a damn. I will be partaking in anti-school activities tonight and I am very appreciative.

I like you, OU. But only 10% of the time.

P.S. If you cancel class Wednesday, I may up that figure to 15% of the time.

SINCE THE WRITING OF THIS POST... CLASS HAS SINCE BEEN CANCELED FOR WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2011. GUESS I LIKE OU 15% OF THE TIME NOW.

No comments:

Post a Comment