Thursday, September 30, 2010

Not So Regular Handy Man

I don't know much about Norman. I only found a dry cleaner this summer, the only housekeeping service I found charged more than my mom's (although my house isn't even half the size), I can't find a single grocery store with a decent meat market, and overall, I only know about the restaurants in my general area. Therefore, obviously I do not know anyone that I can hire to do handy things around my house. That leaves it up to me.

Normally when I purchase something that requires manual labor to install, it will lay around for approximately one month.... give or take a few months. I had curtain rods hanging out in my bedroom for the first three months I lived here. Then one day I was tired of waking up when the sun came thru my window, so I hung the rod closest to my bed. I waited another month to hang the other one... and even then it was only because my mom suggested I do it. It was more of her telling me to hang it because it looks bad, but whatever.

In the middle of August, I decided to purchase a new shower rod. The one I had was not a very quality piece of equipment... it would not stay up higher on the wall, so my shower curtain had about a foot of plastic that would just hang out in the tub. It would accumulate water and I just thought it was really dirty. I purchased want that I could mount on the wall and that curved out giving me about 7.5 inches more of elbow space. A nice upgrade, kinda like going from Coach to Business Class.

The shower rod got hung today... almost two months later. I took it out of the box and soon realized I didn't have the drill it required. I had to get creative. When I hung my curtain rods, I also got creative. Instead of using a drill, I just nailed a whole in the plaster and then screwed the rod into the wholes that were there with my electric screwdriver/drill thing (but I didn't have drill bits... thats why I couldn't "drill.") I figured I could do that again... one problem. The electric screwdriver was no longer electric. And I didn't know where the power chord was. So again, I got creative.

Currently my shower rod is in place having been completely nailed to the wall. It was extremely tricky nailing one side in without anyone else holding the weight of the other end. Often times, my hammering consisted of me balancing the rod on my head. At one point I needed another nail but the rod wouldn't have held so I balanced on one foot, held the rod on my head and used my other foot to pick up the nail on the sink (like a monkey). It was no easy fete. But I felt as if I could attend yoga afterwards.

My shower curtain no longer hangs loose in the bottom of my tub and I have more room to "wash that man right outta my hair."

The only thing I'm worried about now is whether or not I can be held liable if someone were to buy my house and the rod collapse in on them... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

1 comment:

  1. I remember my roommate had to hang my curtain rod for me, because I sucked. I'm impressed by your skills, ghetto though they are, haha

    ReplyDelete