Saturday, August 21, 2010

Don't Mind Us Officer, We Are the Law

Two nights ago the OU Law Class of 2012 threw a party for the incoming law class. We purchased kegs, I became a member of Sam's Club so we could purchase hamburgers and meat franks (not beef...yum) in bulk. I also thought it would be wise to purchase three liters of flavored vodka and charge $1 per shot... I'm such an entrepreneur. We purchased pink lemonade, cherry and peach.

I was in charge of collecting money from the 2L's and 3L's and pushing shots on people. Several people insisted I take one with them and eventually I gave in a couple of times. On occasion I would also buy shots for my friends in an attempt to boost sales.

Around 8:30pm, a police officer arrived. Upon hearing this news I thought to myself, "Cops do not like you, you have a problem with authority and often get aggressive when drinking' stay away" AND then ultimately decided I would let someone else handle this...... Then I snapped out of it reminding myself I was a law student and I would get paid for shit like this, so I went to handle business.

I walk up to the police officer and immediately say, "It's ok officer, we are all 21.... We are law students." To which he replied, this isn't a drinking issue, it's a parking issue. Now I found this humorous. Here I was telling this man we were law students and that we would get right on it because we have 'due respect' for the law and yet about 50 cars were parked on the side of the street that had a sign that said" No Parking At Anytime." Apparently literacy is not tested when applying to law school.

We assured him we'd get right on having them move their cars but were trying to arrange a way in which the party could continue. He was worried that because more and more people were going to arrive, the same thing would happen again. Then I think he started getting a little annoyed with us... He started telling us that just because we are law students doesn't really mean anything. He respects that, but he gets really tired of pulling people over and the first thing they say is, "Its ok officer, we are law students." (I mean, what??? That is virtually like saying, "don't mind us officer, we are the law.")

After this statement, I knew I had to immediately rectify my peers. So I started telling him how absurd that was and how we have to look the law up, but it is gentlemen like himself that have to enforce it. HE LOVED THIS. He ate it up like it was a jelly-filled donut, wait, even better an apple fritter.

I think my sucking up to the police officer and virtually giving my profession zero to no credit at all, he informed us that he wouldn't be back till 10:00 and that the cars should be gone by then. Great. That gave us another hour and a half... Enough time to float all three kegs.

Moral of the story... We may not BE the law (although I still like to say that to piss my family and friends off) but we definitely know how to handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment