Wednesday, January 26, 2011

DMAFASA: Do me a favor and stop abbreviating.

I watch a lot of TV. I strive to get my reading done before primetime hits. I have a very strict schedule. Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are very important days of the weeks. Luckily, most of my favorite TV shows don’t conflict… or else there would be hell to pay.

Lately, I have a new favorite: Castle. It is about a professional writer who begins shadowing his muse (a beautiful intimidating female detective) because he is besties with the mayor and gets permission to do so. It’s funny because they are so opposite of each other that as much as Detective Beckett gets annoyed with Castle, they actually grow to love each other… but of course never get together because what else would drive the audience to continue watching. JUST HOOK UP ALREADY.

Since being in law school, it is hard for me to take any show that is law related too seriously. I catch minor things that no ordinary individual would catch. For example, when people are taken down to the police station for questioning… that is actually an arrest, so most of the time the police in shows CANNOT do that because they don’t have probable cause. The individual must go either voluntarily or in handcuffs, there is no in between.

But to my point… I do not only find these shows as entertaining but I also find them hysterical, most often when they aren’t trying to be funny.

In Castle, the police detectives always abbreviate things. I suppose the writers think it makes the show sound more realistic; who knows maybe detective really do abbreviate things. But when it comes to abbreviations, I find them annoying. HBD is not a good substitution for Happy Birthday. If it isn’t a “big deal,” don’t tell me “NBD,” tell me “No Big Deal.” “BRB.” Wait where are you going?

The detectives abbreviate COD (cause of death) and several other things I can’t remember off the top of my head.
Abbreviations piss me off in general. But the things that really piss me off? Abbreviations that take longer to say than had you not abbreviated in the first place. NRA – I understand. It’s a lot easier to say NRA than “National Rifle Association.”

But GSW? Does anyone know what GSW stands for? You do if you watch Castle. GSW means gunshot wound. However, if you actually say G-S-W it takes longer than gunshot wound. Gunshot wound is only 3 syllables, GSW is 4.

Moral of the story… don’t’ abbreviate just to abbreviate. It’s annoying.

TTYL.

1 comment:

  1. If you think regular shows are legally unrealistic, check out any episode of the new show "Harry's Law." It is unwatchable for a law student.

    ReplyDelete