Tuesday, January 25, 2011

If At First You Don't Succeed...

Everyone knows the saying "If at first you don't succeed, then try try again." It is the cliche' individuals so often hear in times of failure. As children everyone heard this. In fact the saying's popularity has been linked back to getting American schoolchildren to do their homework. It was a montra. The lesson behind it... Don't give up... (And do your damn homework.)

A favorite song of mine has a line that is repeated throughout the entire song, "Whether you fall means nothing at all, it's whether you get up." It has the same meaning. Instilling in all of us the value of hard work and determination.

So you all probably understand my confusion reconciling that famous quote with another famous quote. This quote however, was from none other than genius Albert Einstein (the quote has also been attributed to Ben Franklin... but lets be honest, Albert Einstein makes my point so much better.) It goes a little something like this:

"Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."

I have a jar of pickles in my refrigerator. It has been in my refrigerator for about 5 months now. Every week or so, I attempt to open the jar of pickles. And about every week or so, I fail. I have tried using rubber oven mits. I have tried banging it on the table. I have tried everything short of taking a freakin' hammer to the glass. I want those damn pickles. They are spicy and sweet and garlic. YUM.

My question is: After how long will my attempts go from determination to insanity? I've not given up. But at the same time, nothing ever changes. No matter how many times I attempt to open those pickles, it probably just isn't going to happen. Am I hardworking or just a little special? I'll leave that up to you.

In the meantime, someone needs to get in contact with Albert and Ben and whoever came up with that other quote and have them reconcile their differences. I think a debate is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment